Re: BUG null dereference in driver ./drivers/net/3c507.c

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 09:16:27 EST

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 06:55:08 pm Alexander Strakh wrote:
> KERNEL_VERSION: 2.6.32
> SUBJECT: null dereference aftre check
> DESCRIBE:
> In driver drivers/net/3c507.c in function Iirqreturn_t el16_interrupt:
>
> 1. If in line 555 dev = NULL then we goto line 556
> 2. In line 556 we have null dereference because pr_err called with dev->name
> in third parameter.
>
> 555 if (dev == NULL) {
> 556 pr_err("%s: net_interrupt(): irq %d for unknown device.
> \n",
> 557 dev->name, irq);
> 558 return IRQ_NONE;
> 559 }

There is no NULL dereference bug there possible since 'dev' will never be
actually NULL in el16_interrupt() (because of the way IRQ kernel subsystem
and 3c507 network driver are designed/work).

IOW it is just a bogus NULL pointer check, though it still would be nice
to have the issue fixed. Care to send a patch removing it?

--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz