Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Asyncsuspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 10:32:29 EST

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> What fact? The only thing that matters is USB? For resume, it is. For
> suspend, it clearly isn't.

For suspend, the only other case we've seen has been the keyboard and
mouse controller, which has exactly the same "we can special case it with
a single 'let's do _this_ device asynchronously'". Again, it may not be
pretty, but it sure is simple.

Much simpler than talking about some generic infrastructure changes and
about doing "let's do leaves of the tree separately" schemes.

And that's why I'm _soo_ unhappy with you, and am insulting you. Because
you keep on making the same mistake over and over - overdesigning.

Overdesigning is a SIN. It's the archetypal example of what I call "bad
taste". I get really upset when a subsystem maintainer starts
overdesigning things.

Linus