Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Asyncsuspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 17:28:19 EST

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Alan Stern wrote:
> >
> > Okay. This obviously implies that if/when cardbus bridges are
> > converted to async suspend/resume, the driver should make sure that the
> > lower-numbered devices wait for their sibling higher-numbered devices
> > to suspend (and vice versa for resume). Awkward though it may be.
>
> Yes. However, this is an excellent case where the whole "the device layer
> does things asynchronously" is really rather awkward.
>
> For cardbus, the nicest model really would be for the _driver_ to decide
> to do some things asynchronously, after having done some other things
> synchronously (to make sure of ordering).

Have you considered the possibility of augmenting the design to allow
this? Perhaps reserve a particular return code from the suspend
routine to mean that asynchronous operations are still underway, so the
PM core shouldn't automatically do the complete_all().

> So I suspect that we _can_ just do cardbus bridges asynchronously too, but
> it really needs some care. I suspect to a first approximation we would
> want to do the easy cases first, and ignore cardbus as being "known to
> possibly have issues".

Certainly. Start with the easy things and leave harder devices like
cardbus bridges for later.

> > > Subtle? Hell yes.
> >
> > I don't disagree. However the subtlety lies mainly in the matter of
> > non-obvious dependencies.
>
> Yes. But we don't necessarily even _know_ those dependencies.

Yep. Both non-obvious and non-known.

> The Cardbus ones I know about, but really only because I wrote much of
> that code initially when converting cardbus to look like the PCI bridge it
> largely is. But how many other cases like that do we have that we have
> perhaps never even hit, because we've never done anything out of order.
>
> > The ACPI relations are definitely something to worry about. It would
> > be a good idea, at an early stage, to add those dependencies
> > explicitly. I don't know enough about them to say more; perhaps Rafael
> > does.
>
> Quite frankly, I would really not want to do ACPI first at all.

Dear me, no! I wasn't saying ACPI should be made async; I was saying
that ACPI "shadow" devices should be made to wait for their async PCI
counterparts.

> > Indeed. Perhaps you were too hasty in suggesting that PCI bridges
> > should be async.
>
> Oh, yes. I would suggest that first we do _nothing_ async except for
> within just a single USB tree, and perhaps some individual drivers like
> the PS/2 keyboard controller (and do even that perhaps only for the PC
> version, which we know is on the southbridge and not anywhere else).
>
> If that ends up meaning that we block due to PCI bridges, so be it. I
> really would prefer baby steps over anything more complete.

Agreed. I'm not in any hurry.

Alan Stern