Re: synaptics touchpad doesn't click

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 01:51:10 EST

At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:59:34 -0800,
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:05:06PM -0700, Alex Chiang wrote:
> > * Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > >
> > > The updated patch is below.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dmitry
> >
> > Should I test this one or wait one more iteration to address
> > Takashi's last comments?
> >

> Actually I think we took the wrong direction with the original patch and
> we should do what other buttonless devices (bcm5974) do: report touchpad
> click as left button and have Synaptics X driver provide enhanced
> support. This way we can have both modes (ClickZones and ClickButtons)
> and users will get to chose (provided that someone takes time to add
> that support to Synaptics driver of course ;) ).

My concern is, still, how would you identify this device. Will you
extend also some ioctls to expose caps and extcaps? Otherwise it's
difficult to identify this device automatically from the user-space.

The user-space can know that it's button-less, yes. But, how can it
know whether the device should be emulated via ClickZone?
We can use a driver option to x11 synaptics driver for that, as I
already sent you another patch. However, the driver option is
nowadays not preferred because xorg.conf is being dead on new
systems...

Or maybe HAL (or whatever upcoming one) can check the vendor/product
id of the machine (not the device) to provide the information. OTOH
this will also need frequent updates.

Takashi