Re: K8 ECC error with linux-2.6.32

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 02:15:06 EST

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:00:46PM +0100, Johannes Hirte wrote:

> This patch (as the BIOS option) will only disable the error reports. The error
> itself will still occur, right? So necessary to find out why the radeon driver
> trigger this error.

Because the graphics driver does aperture accesses with no
matching GART translation, and the hw generates mchecks for
that. The whole story on GART table walk errors is in section
"13.10.1 GART Table Walk Error Reporting" in the document here:
http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/32559.pdf

I can't say for sure about your BIOS, but if it is done as described in
the abovementioned section, the BIOS option should disable logging of
the error, which implies reporting too.

The patch is still needed for machines that do not have that BIOS
option.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
System | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany
Research | Geschäftsführer: Andrew Bowd, Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
Center | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München
(OSRC) | Registergericht München, HRB Nr. 43632