Re: Async suspend-resume patch w/ completions (was: Re: Asyncsuspend-resume patch w/ rwsems)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 10:23:04 EST

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> I measured the total time of suspending and resuming devices as shown by the
> code added by this patch:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/rafael/suspend-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=c1b8fc0a8bff7707c10f31f3d26bfa88e18ccd94;hp=087dbf5f079f1b55cbd3964c9ce71268473d5b67
> on two boxes, HP nx6325 and MSI Wind U100 (hardware-wise they are quite
> different and the HP was running 64-bit kernel and user space).

> I carried out 5 consecutive suspend-resume cycles (started from under X) on
> each box in each case, and the raw data are here (all times in milliseconds):
> http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/data/async-suspend.pdf

I'd like to see much more detailed data. For each device, let's get
the device name, the parent's name, and the start time, end time, and
duration for suspend or resume. The start time should be measured when
you have finished waiting for the children. The end time should be
measured just before the complete_all().

Alan Stern