Re: InfiniBand/RDMA merge plans for 2.6.33

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 12:15:24 EST

> > - mlx4 SR-IOV support. Again, main problem was my lack of time. I
> > agree in principle with this stuff, just want to be careful that we
> > don't turn the mlx4 driver into an unmaintainable mess of "if
> > (sriov) something; else something_else" all over.

> Roland,
> You have not sent any comments to our patches that were sent few weeks
> ago on time for 2.6.32 inclusion,
> and now I am surprised you do not accept them for 2.6.32.
> I think we still have time to work together and fix your concerns on
> mlx4 driver.
> Can you send more concrete comments so we can fix them?

As I said (in the text you quoted), the main problem is my lack of
time. I want to read the patches over again, and I suspect we will have
one more iteration before they are ready to go. There does seem to be a
lot of changing from

/* pv code */

if (sriov) {
/* sriov code */
} else {
/* completely different pv code */
}

which is to say the least not beautiful.

More broadly there is a problem that I am doing 99% of the code review
for RDMA kernel patches. Occasionally people get interested in isolated
things, but for the most part the expectation seems to be that I will
review everything, which doesn't scale.

> Since we have a HW that supports SRIOV and many people are interested
> in this new technology for KVM thus it is important that we drive it
> now

If you send a 25-patch series after -rc6, you should expect that there
is a good chance of missing the next merge window. Sorry -- with the
current process of expecting me to be the only reviewer for nearly
everything, I simply am not going to be able to get through things in time.

- R.