Re: [git pull] vfs pile 2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 11:39:53 EST

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Al Viro wrote:

> Misc bits and pieces, cleaning the table for scaling stuff...
> Please, pull from
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs-2.6.git/ master
> in a few minutes (or directly from hera)

Btw, would you mind cleaning that repo up?

It has a few very annoying things, the first and foremost of which is that
HEAD points to some crazy branch (new-truncate).

So when you do "git pull" without mentioning the branch (which is the
normal behavior) and would expect to get your default thing (which was
also what you asked me to pull in your original pull request), you instead
get some totally inexplicable old random crud.

That's really unexpected for a bare repository. I spent some time looking
at the odd conflicts the other day when I pulled originally.

I suspect you just did a "scp -rp" or something to initially set it up,
which is why it contains some random branch - that just happened to be
your active branch at the time you did that setup.

(It also has FETCH_HEAD, index, COMMIT_EDITMSG etc - all things that don't
make sense in a bare repository)

Linus