Re: [PATH 1/5 -v2] acpi, IO memory pre-mapping and atomic accessing

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 12:07:14 EST

On Thursday 17 December 2009 01:33:07 am Huang Ying wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 01:54 +0800, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > > The usage model is different. Please take a look at
> > > __apei_exec_read_register(). We need to get virtual address from
> > > physical address in GAR. And many small-size GARs in ERST or EINJ may
> > > share same page, so some kind of virtual space optimization is
> > > necessary.
> >
> > The sharing could be done with a reference count in the map/unmap
> > path.
> >
> > I don't have time to fully understand your patch series, but I suspect
> > the issue is that you're interpreting opcodes, and those contain or
> > reference generic_address structures, and you think it's easier just
> > pass around the GAR pointer than it is to remember a (GAR, mapped-GAR)
> > association made by pre_map_gar() and use the mapped-GAR when executing
> > the "read" opcode.
>
> So we need the (GAR, mapped-GAR) association anyway. Variable
> acpi_iomaps in atomicio.c is such a association. When executing the
> "read" opcode, we still need get mapped-GAR from the GAR. So I think
> your proposal and my implementation is similar, with different naming
> convention and you want to put the association in APEI code, and I want
> to put it in ACPI code.

Well, yes, they're similar in the sense that both do remember the (GAR,
mapped-GAR) association. Your implementation remembers it in the
acpi_iomaps list, and I proposed having the caller keep it. The
advantage I see with having the caller keep it is that it would make
atomicio.c MUCH simpler -- no list, no lookup, no repeated validation,
no RCU, probably no kref stuff. Obviously this would come at the cost
of some increased complexity in the callers.

And I think it's worth something to use the pattern of pci_iomap(),
because that's a well-known Linux design pattern.

Anyway, just my opinion; feel free to ignore.

Bjorn