Re: [tip:x86/urgent] Makefile: set LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE, LC_NUMERICto C

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 18:35:06 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 02:09 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>>
>> This is IMO -next fodder and not urgent stuff.
>> In the distant past something similar caused us troubles.
>>
>> I assume that the patch posted by Roland fixes
>> the relevant troubles with the awk script and that
>> this patch is just for consistency.
>> So in other words stuff for -next and not -rc1.
>>

> No: the patch Roland posted fixes the problems with non-POSIX-compliant
> awk (e.g. mawk), but it in turn requires this patch in order to not
> break on non-C-locale-default systems (which are most systems nowadays.)

Right, gawk requires locale setting.

btw, something went wrong with it...

---
$ make O=/home/mhiramat/kbin/2.6.32 all
Using /home/mhiramat/ksrc/linux-2.6-tip as source for kernel
GEN /home/mhiramat/kbin/2.6.32/Makefile
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
CALL /home/mhiramat/ksrc/linux-2.6-tip/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/linux/compile.h
CHK include/linux/version.h
make[3]: `scripts/unifdef' ???????
TEST posttest
Succeed: decoded and checked 887431 instructions
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#19)
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 434 modules
WARNING: modpost: Found 2 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
---

when I ran with LC_ALL=C, it shows message correctly.

---
$ make O=/home/mhiramat/kbin/2.6.32 all LC_ALL=C
Using /home/mhiramat/ksrc/linux-2.6-tip as source for kernel
GEN /home/mhiramat/kbin/2.6.32/Makefile
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
CALL /home/mhiramat/ksrc/linux-2.6-tip/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/linux/compile.h
CHK include/linux/version.h
make[3]: `scripts/unifdef' is up to date.
TEST posttest
Succeed: decoded and checked 887431 instructions
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#19)
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 434 modules
WARNING: modpost: Found 2 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
---

Maybe, "LC_ALL=" line broke it?

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx