Re: [RFC] CFQ group scheduling structure organization

From: Munehiro Ikeda
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 19:01:21 EST

Hello,

Corrado Zoccolo wrote, on 12/17/2009 06:41 AM:
Hi,
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Vivek Goyal<vgoyal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

With some basic group scheduling support in CFQ, there are few questions
regarding how group structure should look like in CFQ.

Currently, grouping looks as follows. A, and B are two cgroups created by
user.

[snip]

Proposal 4:
==========
Treat task and group at same level. Currently groups are at top level and
at second level are tasks. View the whole hierarchy as follows.

service-tree
/ | \ \
T1 T2 G1 G2

Here T1 and T2 are two tasks in root group and G1 and G2 are two cgroups
created under root.

In this kind of scheme, any RT task in root group will still be system
wide RT even if we create groups G1 and G2.

So what are the issues?

- I talked to few folks and everybody found this scheme not so intutive.
Their argument was that once I create a cgroup, say A, under root, then
bandwidth should be divided between "root" and "A" proportionate to
the weight.

It is not very intutive that group is competing with all the tasks
running in root group. And disk share of newly created group will change
if more tasks fork in root group. So it is highly dynamic and not
static hence un-intutive.

I agree it might be dynamic but I don't think it's un-intuitive.
I think it's reasonable that disk share of a group is
influenced by the number of tasks running in root group,
because the root group is shared by the tasks and groups from
the viewpoint of cgroup I/F, and they really share disk bandwidth.

To emulate the behavior of previous proposals, root shall have to create
a new group and move all root tasks there. But admin shall have to still
keep RT tasks in root group so that they still remain system-wide.

service-tree
/ | \ \
T1 root G1 G2

T2

Now admin has specifically created a group "root" along side G1 and G2
and moved T2 under root. T1 is still left in top level group as it might
be an RT task and we want it to remain RT task systemwide.

So to some people this scheme is un-intutive and requires more work in
user space to achive desired behavior. I am kind of 50:50 between two
kind of arrangements.

This is the one I prefer: it is the most natural one if you see that
groups are scheduling entities like any other task.
I think it becomes intuitive with an analogy with a qemu (e.g. kvm)
virtual machine model. If you think a group like a virtual machine, it
is clear that for the normal system, the whole virtual machine is a
single scheduling entity, and that it has to compete with other
virtual machines (as other single entities) and every process in the
real system (those are inherently more important, since without the
real system, the VMs cannot simply exist).
Having a designated root group, instead, resembles the xen VM model,
where you have a separated domain for each VM and for the real system.

I think the implementation of this approach can make the code simpler
and modular (CFQ could be abstracted to deal with scheduling entities,
and each scheduling entity could be defined in a separate file).
Within each group, you will now have the choice of how to schedule its
queues. This means that you could possibly have different I/O
schedulers within each group, and even have sub-groups within groups.

Corrado exactly says my preference.

I understand current implementation, like proposal 1, was
employed to make code simple and I believe it succeeded.
However, rather I feel it's un-intuitive because it's
inconsistent with cgroup I/F. Behavior which is inconsistent
with the I/F can lead to misconfiguration of sys-admins.
This might be problematic, IMHO.

Thanks,
Muuhh

--