Re: x264 benchmarks BFS vs CFS

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 02:30:19 EST

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 06:23 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Having said that, we generally try to make things perform well without apps
> having to switch themselves to SCHED_BATCH. Mike, do you think we can make
> x264 perform as well (or nearly as well) under SCHED_OTHER as under
> SCHED_BATCH?

It's not bad as is, except for ultrafast mode. START_DEBIT is the
biggest problem there. I don't think SCHED_OTHER will ever match
SCHED_BATCH for this load, though I must say I haven't full-spectrum
tested. This load really wants RR scheduling, and wakeup preemption
necessarily perturbs run order.

I'll probably piddle with it some more, it's an interesting load.

-Mike