Re: x264 benchmarks BFS vs CFS

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 08:07:01 EST

* Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm personally curious as to what kind of scheduler issues this results
> > in--I haven't done any BFS vs CFS tests with this option enabled yet.
>
> I'll look for x264 source, and patch/piddle.

btw., would be nice to look at it via tools/perf/ as well:

perf stat --repeat 3 ...

to see the basic hardware utilization (cycles/cache-misses, branch execution
rate, instructions, etc.) and the basic parallelism metrics, at a glance.

i suspect "perf stat -e L1-icache-loads -e L1-icache-load-misses" would give
us an even more detailed picture.

Ingo