Re: git pull on linux-next makes my system crawl to its knees and beg for mercy

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 14:55:50 EST

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
> <bzolnier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Friday 18 December 2009 06:26:29 pm Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>> on my kernel logs. Bewildered with this issue I set out to prove to
>>> myself this issue was not a 2.6.32 issue and booted other kernels,
>>> including Ubuntu's distro kernel on 2.6.31 and then later my own built
>>> fresh 2.6.27.41 kernel. The issue was reproducible on all three
>>> kernels!
>>>
>>> This lead me to believe this was a system / hard drive issue and
>>> embraced myself for a system fix. I yet needed to prove this was
>>
>> Just some hints for ruling out the system / hard drive problem.
>>
>> smartctl -a /dev/sdx is your friend for checking your disk (keep an eye
>> on anything suspicious like re-allocated sector count going up etc.)
>
> Sweet thanks, here's my current output, I'll try later after I get
> some day work done to pull linux-next and make it moan. Let me know if
> you see anything fishy.

<-- snip full log -->

> Also available at:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/logs/2009/12/smart-ctl-sda2.txt
>
>> It could be also fs related issue that shows up only under specific
>> conditions
>
> OK -- I see, I used a fresh new ext3, did not make the jump to ext4.
>
>> (i.e. almost full partition -- some file-systems starts to
>> crawl when the amount of available free space gets low).
>
> Got it, thanks, so partition has a lot of room.
>
> mcgrof@tux ~ $ df -h
> Filesystem      ÂSize ÂUsed Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â91G Â 43G Â 44G Â50% /
>
> Also ony have one partition.

GSmartControl is very cool, just ran the short self test and it passed
without issues. I'll now run the extended self tests. I'll not that
right after the self test I had to checkout the 2.6.32.y branch on
hpa's tree and noticed similar type of slow down as I did with pulling
linux-next. Only thing with linux-next is it takes ages complete which
just makes waiting unbearable. This all makes me suspect its something
else. But lets seee what these results on the GSmartControl yield.

Luis