Re: git pull on linux-next makes my system crawl to its knees andbeg for mercy

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 16:56:56 EST

Hi Luis,

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:26:29 -0800 "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tend to always be on a 2.6.32 kernel + John's queued up patches for
> wireless for the next kernel release (I use wireless-testing). My
> system is a Thinkpad T61, userspace is Ubuntu 9.10 based (ships with
> git 1.6.3.3) and I kept an ext3 filesystem to be able to go back in
> time to 2.6.27 at will without issues. I git clone'd linux-next a few
> weeks ago. After a few days I then tried to git pull and my system
> became completely unusable, It took *ages* to open up a terminal and

The start of the daily linux-next boilerplate says:

> If you are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use
> "git pull" to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release
> with the old one. You should use "git fetch" as mentioned in the FAQ on
> the wiki (see below).

(Unfortunately, the wiki seems to be unavailable at the moment)

I am guessing that the merge that git is attempting is killing your
laptop (though besides the number of common commits I am not sure why).
Please try using "get fetch" instead.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx