Re: drm/radeon/kms regression: 2.6.33-rc2 does not boot

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Fri Dec 25 2009 - 07:41:40 EST

* Dave Airlie (airlied@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Andrei Gaponenko

<snip>

> >> Can you wait for a minute or so and see if it continues? though this sounds like
> >> something different than others have seen.
> >
> > I did let it to sit for many minutes during some of iterations of the
> > bisection; did not notice any progress.
> >
> > Andrei
> >
> > Please Cc me directly on replies.
>
> Did you install the irq firmware from
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/
>
> I need to add a pointer to the Kconfig (just wasn't there when I sent it i).

I had the same problem (and the same fix); For me it gave up after 60
seconds of waiting for the firmware and panic'd.

Unfortunately at that point it was still at a VGA display without
much res, so while I got the backtrace I didn't get the top of the oops.
(and it was too early for netconsole)

It would be better if the firmware was missing for it just not to do
modeswitching and carry on; I wonder if it was hangcheck or the like
that killed it?

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /