Re: 2.6.33-rc1: kernel BUG at fs/ext4/inode.c:1063 (sparc)

From: Dmitry Monakhov
Date: Fri Dec 25 2009 - 18:48:07 EST

Alexander Beregalov <a.beregalov@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> It seems I can easily reproduce it.
>>> But I can't compile 2.6.33-rc2 :)
BTW what sha1 of the git-commit you have used to reproduce
the bug (2.6.33-rc1 HEAD has no this BUG_ON).
This is important to me to know it, or just post the
fs/ext4/inode.c file.

>>> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/sparc/Kconfig
>>> Â CHK Â Â include/linux/version.h
>>> Â CHK Â Â include/generated/utsrelease.h
>>> Â CALL Â Âscripts/checksyscalls.sh
>>> Â CHK Â Â include/generated/compile.h
>>> Â GZIP Â Âkernel/config_data.gz
>>> Â CC Â Â Âfs/configfs/inode.o
>>> Â IKCFG Â kernel/config_data.h
>>> Â LD [M] Âfs/btrfs/btrfs.o
>>> Â CC Â Â Âkernel/configs.o
>>> fs/btrfs/sysfs.o: file not recognized: File truncated
>> This happens because of Âdelayed allocation. Each time BUG or
>> unexpected power off happens during object files usually becomes
>> broken. IMHO this is expected issue. Just recompile from beginning
>> # make clean; make -j4
>
> It does not help, it still fails.
Again strange, please run fsck. What about compile it from very
beginning (start from unpacking tar-ball from kernel.org)
Or may be compile it on another file-system(ext3 or
ext4 with nodelalloc option)
> I will try to crosscompile the kernel with Ted's patch on another host.

It is sad, but i still can not reproduce your bug.
At this time i've tested following configurations:
system : 2.6.33-rc2, x86 two cores cpu with 2GB of ram
block dev: real sata drive, loopdev over tmpfs
mkfs : 4k and 1k blocksize
mount : w/o quota, quota, journaled quota
quota : both ON and OFF states
fs-load : - fsstress with 1,4,16,32 concurrent tasks
- kernel compilation -j4, -j32
- In fact currently my mail-dir is under quota control.
Please clarify your use-case:
0) Your system speciffication: cpu_num, mem_size, page_size(i guess 8k)
block device.
1) mkfs options
2) mount options
3) quota options (if any)
4) your fs load test-case
5) How long does it takes you to reproduce the bug.
>> As soon as your testcase is kernel compilation.
>> Strange i'm living with quota patches on my notebook more than
>> a month( two weeks with the version committed to quota git tree)
>> with and without quota . But this never happens.
>> Currently i'm trying to reproduce the bug on 2.6.33-rc2
>> Please add keep me in cc because seems the bug was introduced
>> (or just triggered) by my quota patches.
>>> make[2]: *** [fs/btrfs/btrfs.o] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [fs/btrfs] Error 2