Re: [Alacrityvm-devel] [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 08:28:27 EST

On 12/27/2009 03:18 PM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
On 12/27/09 4:15 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 12/23/2009 11:21 PM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
That said, you are still incorrect. With what I proposed, the model
will run as an in-kernel vbus device, and no longer run in userspace.
It would therefore improve virtio-net as I stated, much in the same
way vhost-net or venet-tap do today.

That can't work. virtio-net has its own ABI on top of virtio, for
example it prepends a header for TSO information. Maybe if you disable
all features it becomes compatible with venet, but that cripples it.

You are confused. The backend would be virtio-net specific, and would
therefore understand the virtio-net ABI. It would support any feature
of virtio-net as long as it was implemented and negotiated by both sides
of the link.

Then we're back to square one. A nice demonstration of vbus flexibility, but no help for virtio.