Compilation issues using netlink.h

From: Matthew Burgess
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 19:39:50 EST

Hi,

The test case below simplifies a failure I see when trying to compile strace using kernel headers from Linux-2.6.32.2:

#include <linux/netlink.h>
struct sockaddr_nl nl;
int main() {
return 0;
}

$ gcc -o test test.c
In file included from test.c:1:
/usr/include/linux/netlink.h:34: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'sa_family_t'

The comment in netlink.h suggests that 'sa_family_t' is expected to be found in linux/socket.h, but since commit 9c501935a3 ("net: Support inclusion of <linux/socket.h> before <sys/socket.h>") that appears to not be true anymore, it's now in sys/socket.h. Sure enough, if I change the include in netlink.h to pull in sys/socket.h instead of linux/socket.h, that enables the test case (and strace) to compile again, but I wasn't sure if it was really the right thing to do.

Thanks,

Matt.