Re: [SOLVED] RAM installed vs reported

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 21:57:25 EST

Thanasis wrote:
on 12/30/2009 01:08 PM Dirk Heinrichs wrote the following:
Am Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009 11:49:39 schrieb Thanasis:

I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One A110L) and installed a 1GB DDR2 in the
available slot, for a total of 1.5GB or RAM.
The BIOS reports it as 1.5GB and so does grml linux (booting from usb),
but the installed gentoo linux reports only 904600 kB:
With more than 1G of memory, you should set CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.

Another benefit with PAE is that you get the benefit of the nx bit being available to eliminate several classes to deliberate and unintentional misbehavior.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>