Re: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module

From: BartÅomiej ZimoÅ
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 12:20:54 EST

Dnia 3 stycznia 2010 0:29 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> napisaÅ(a):
> > - could be even used partialy by pm-utils
> > - it is perfect just to notify about event
>
> OK, but why exactly do _you_ need that to happen?
>
> There's one important drawback of making the kernel generate the notification.
> Namely, even if your userspace task is notified by the kernel of a PM event,
> that doesn't mean it'll have the time to act upon that, because the kernel will
> attempt to freeze it right after the notification has been sent. This means
> you'd need a way to make the kernel wait for your user space process to finish
> it's job before continuing the suspend/hibernate process. Otherwise it's not
> going to be very useful.

So if it is bad idea, we could create more advenced implementation.
i.e. IPC or callbacks for this kind of events.

There is vision in my mind to have alternative to pm-utils,
but even more powerfull and easy to implement in program.
I could try to implement something like that.

Rafael i'm open for Your suggestions.

Best regards.
BartÅomiej ZimoÅ
PLD Linux, Kadu Team, FreeRunner user