Re: Samsung N130 ATA exception after 5min uptime -- Phoenix FailSafeissue?

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 19:51:56 EST

Hello,

On 01/04/2010 09:41 AM, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> I've updated bug#14314. It is certainly a BIOS issue, but the
> "spurious IRQ" check deals way better with it than the previous
> 30sec hang waiting for timeout. IMHO the patch should be merged
> into mainline asap. Or do you think it has any downside?

The danger is that when the hardware is actually malfunctioning and
causing IRQ storm, the driver will tell the IRQ subsystem that the
IRQs aren't spurious. This will bypass the IRQ storm detection logic
and lead to complete system lockup under such conditions. Small
modification to the patch should remove that problem. I'll post an
updated patch soon.

Thanks.

--
tejun