Re: [PULL] pull request for writable limits for 2.6.33-rc0

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 16:59:51 EST

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > Hmm, so this seems to have missed thw 2.6.33 merge window, being dropped in
> > a silent way.
> >
> > Linus, is there any reason you have not pulled this for .33 (I can't see any
> > objections from previous reviews), or was this just forgotten?
>
> I think a "why do we want this badly" blurb would be helpful for next time
> around, to justify the impact to the core kernel:

> And, maybe, if you know about pros/cons of the approach, list them as well.
> The patches looked reasonably clean when i last saw them, and i havent seen
> anyone comment pro or contra - and that's both good and bad: good because
> there's no 'contra' opinion - bad because there's no 'pro' opinion either.

Well, I am myself aware of users asking for this functionality, and
thinking about it, it "just makes sense" to have the possibility to
change the limits on the fly.

... but you are right that such justification should probably be clearly
expressed in the pull request itself.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.