Re: how to get right euid?

From: David Howells
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 11:00:47 EST

Kevin Qu <rofail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wrote a kernel module and it create a "file" in /proc.
> The "file" permission is set to 644.
> When check access permission, I use :

Check where? In file_operations::open(), in file_operations::write() or in
inode_operations::permission()?

> if( op == 4 || (op ==2 && current->euid == 0) )
> return 0;
>
> But it does not work on 2.6.29,
> so I changed it like below:
>
> if( op & 0x4 || (op & 0x2 && current_euid() == 0) )
> return 0;

What is op? Is "op == N" equivalent to "op & N"? Should N be a symbolic
constant (MAY_READ or MAY_WRITE)?

> It works when read from the "file" in /proc,
> but when write to it with sudo, like:
>
> sudo echo "some thing" > /proc/my_file
>
> It denied. (But it works when I su to superuser and do so.)
>
> So I checked the current_euid(),
> but it returns 1000 (not 0),Why?

As Jeff said, where you're making the check matters.

In the above sudo command, the open() call is done by the shell, under the
EUID of whoever is logged in, whereas the write() call is done by the echo
command as executed by sudo, under the EUID set by sudo.

Note that if you're making the check in write(), the UID that you're checking
should be the one in struct file::f_cred.

David