Re: Linux 2.6.33-rc3, rc2 regression at boot

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 10:35:53 EST

On Wednesday 06 January 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Update, I edited the .config by hand and added the full path in
>>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
>>> which was just 'firmware', and rebuilt. No difference. I still get the
>>> 60 second hang. FWIW, this particular setting isn't visible in a make
>>> xconfig.
>>
>>As this is already at the stage when userspace exists and init has been
>>started, it might well be delay of some userspace stuff, not directly
>>kernel.
>>
>>Does alt-sysrq-t at the time it is stuck give any clue?
>
>I will try that when I next reboot, thanks Jiri

I just did, and ran into 2 things, 1st being an oops or crash that stopped
the shutdown and I was forced to use the hdwe reset button. I rebooted to
2.6.32.3 which worked nominally correct, then to 2.6.33-rc3 again, and played
10,000 monkeys on the keyboard while it was sitting there waiting for the
/lib/firmware/amd-ucode/micrococode_amd.bin for 60 seconds, with no apparent
effect.

I am not convinced my wireless keyboard is alive at 0.6 seconds into the boot
procedure. Or I was using the wrong key for 'sysreq' as susch a labeled key
does not exist on this logitek cordless keyboard.

What line in the .config file actually specifies the path it is supposed to
be searching to find this file?

>From a grep FIRM .config:

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is not set
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R100_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R200_cp.bin.ihex
radeon/R300_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R420_cp.bin.ihex radeon/R520_cp.bin.ihex
radeon/RS600_cp.bin.ihex radeon/RS690_cp.bin.ihex"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM=m
CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM_USB=m
CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE=y
CONFIG_HOSTAP_FIRMWARE_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y

Is something missing above?

If I want to add the amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin to CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE, I
will have to do it by hand as the xconfig editing function for that line
seems to have gone away. That list of radeon stuff hasn't been touched in
nearly 2 years. However, I will do that and report eventually.

Or did the firmware loader itself get broken?

Thanks Jiri.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Good day for a change of scene. Repaper the bedroom wall.