Re: ACPI quirks - acpi_osi="!Windows 2006" required on FSC Amilonotebooks to enable brightness keys

From: Peter Paul
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 17:06:19 EST

On Sat, 09.01.2010, 20:26 +0000 Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 08:14:59PM +0100, Peter Paul wrote:
>
> > Nope, neither with nor without acpi_osi="!Windows 2006", there is nothing in dmesg, no output in acpi_listen and no event in xev.
> > I've compared the ACPI messages in dmesg with and without the parameter, the only change is the rather obvious
> > ACPI: Deleted _OSI(Windows 2006)
>
> And /proc/interrupts doesn't change when you hit those keys?

/proc/interrupts does change all the time
The only backlight related interrupt seems to be IO-APIC-fasteoi (9) - I
get 5-7 interrupts there when pressing either Fn+F8 (brightness down) or
Fn+F7 (brightness up), but only when brightness has not reached a
maximim level in the direction I want to go.
Brightness changes not.
When adding the acpi_osi parameter, I get 10 interrupts for brightness
every key press as long as brighness has not reached it's maximum resp.
minimum.
Brightness changes.

When using a userspace application like brightness-applet, I get >100
interrupts, brightness changes.

Every once in a while I also get some interrupts there without touching
anything (but brightness does not change)

CPU0 CPU1
0: 149418 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 200 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 174 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 3066 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 7712 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 34368 0 IO-APIC-edge ata_piix
15: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge ata_piix
16: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb2
18: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1,
uhci_hcd:usb6
19: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb5
21: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3
22: 280 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi HDA Intel
23: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4,
ehci_hcd:usb7
27: 6472 0 PCI-MSI-edge i915
28: 8369 0 PCI-MSI-edge ahci
29: 2852 0 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
30: 47238 0 PCI-MSI-edge iwl3945
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 30854 62124 Local timer interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
PMI: 0 0 Performance monitoring interrupts
PND: 0 0 Performance pending work
RES: 51052 49567 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 18 27 Function call interrupts
TLB: 3098 3001 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
THR: 0 0 Threshold APIC interrupts