Re: High cpu temperature with 2.6.32, bisection shows commit 69d258 (fwd)

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 22:09:55 EST

On 01/09/2010 08:07 PM, Ray Lee wrote:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Arjan van de Ven<arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
basically it appears that your machine, when the kernel asks for C2,
exits C2 immediately again.

The old algorithm somehow caught this and stopped asking for C2 most of
the time; the new algorithm doesn't see any activity and asks for C2
again.

This change of behavior will certainly bite more users out there. Is
there any way we can detect the systems that aren't honoring the C2
request and limit back to C1?

That seems like it would be a better approach, rather than adding to a DMI list which is almost certainly incomplete.. We've got too many DMI special cases in the kernel already.