Re: [2.6.30 and later] file corruption on ext3 filesystem.

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Mon Jan 11 2010 - 15:13:18 EST

On 01/08/2010 09:53 PM, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
Dave Chinner wrote:
I agree that it is very wrong, but it's a known problem with writeback
mode in ext3:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/818044/focus=819977

More info as to how this change came about and the proposed but not
yet realised fixes:

http://lwn.net/Articles/328363/
Thank you for the pointer.

Indeed, most Linux boxes are used by single user.
But implicitly importing other deleted file's data is still annoying
even if the box is used by only one user.

When I was trying to identify the steps to reproduce, I got ./a.out replaced
by the deleted .bash_history due to power failure. I executed ./a.out as root
without knowing that the file contains deleted .bash_history , and many
commands listed in deleted .bash_history are executed as root.
I thought my box was cracked and trojaned. :-(

Fedora and some other distributions changed the default back to data ordered mode in order to avoid exactly this kind of mess. Even if you are on a single user system, this behavior is certainly unexpected for most users :-)

Ric