Re: Driver-Core: devtmpfs - remove EXPERIMENTAL and enable it bydefault

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 13:05:20 EST

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 06:56:38AM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:47:57 +0100
> Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Driver-Core: devtmpfs - remove EXPERIMENTAL and enable it by
> > default
> >
> > All major distros enable devtmpfs on recent systems, so remove
> > the EXPERIMENTAL flag, and enable it by default to reflect how it
> > is used today.
>
> removing experimental is fine... but setting it by default is a bit
> over the top and very inconsistent with how the 'default' option is
> used.

Why? All major distros need this at boot time, and as we have been
through a release cycle with the config option, anyone who is
incrementally updating will continue with their existing value. But new
people coming in, will get the option as it is most likely required to
boot properly.

Makes sense to me.

thanks,

greg k-h