Re: linux-next: merge fixups relative to the vfs tree

From: Sage Weil
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 18:16:17 EST

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jörn, Sage,
>
> Al has now created a "write_inode" branch in the vfs tree that just
> contains the changes that your trees need to be fixed up for. Al
> promises that this branch will never be rebased. So the best solution is
> for you both to merge that branch into your respective trees ("git pull
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs-2.6.git
> write_inode") and then apply the patches I sent (assuming that they are
> correct). If you rebase your trees, you will need to repull the above
> branch, of course.

That works, thanks. I was planning on just making sure my tree got pulled
after the vfs tree, but this will work either way.

More generally, I'm not sure I understand how your fixups are supposed to
be used down the line. Is whichever tree that caused the conflict to get
merged second supposed to pick it up in their branch to pull, or are those
patches being fed to Linus somehow, or does he usually fix up those
conflicts himself?

Thanks-
sage