Re: [RFC-PATCH 0/7] Memory Compaction v1

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Thu Jan 21 2010 - 05:11:31 EST

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:12:11PM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> Hi Mel,
>
> Sorry, I haven't read this patch at all.
>
> > The time differences are marginal but bear in mind that this is an ideal
> > case of mostly unmapped buffer pages. On nice set of results is between
> > allocations 13-18 where no pages were reclaimed, some compaction occured
> > and 300 huge pages were allocated in 0.16 seconds. Furthermore, compaction
> > allocated a high higher percentage of memory (91% of RAM as huge pages).
> >
> > The downside appears to be that the compaction kernel reclaimed even more
> > pages than the vanilla kernel. However, take the cut-off point of 880 pages
> > that both kernels succeeded. The vanilla kernel had reclaimed 105132 pages
> > at that point. The kernel with compaction had reclaimed 59071, less than
> > half of what the vanilla kernel reclaimed. i.e. the bulk of pages reclaimed
> > with the compaction kernel were to get from 87% of memory allocated to 91%
> > as huge pages.
> >
> > These results would appear to be an encouraging enough start.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I think "Total pages reclaimed" increasing is not good thing ;)

First, I made a mistake in the patch. With the bug fixed, they're
reduced. See the post later in the thread
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/6/215

> Honestly, I haven't understand why your patch increase reclaimed and
> the exactly meaning of the your tool's rclm field.
>
> Can you share your mesurement script? May I run the same test?

Unfortunately at the moment it's part of a mini-testgrid setup I run out
of the house. It doesn't lend itself to being stand-alone. I'll break it
out as part of the next release.

> I like this patch, but I don't like increasing reclaim. I'd like to know
> this patch require any vmscan change and/or its change mitigate the issue.

With the bug repaired, reclaims go from 105132 to 45935 with more huge
pages allocated so right now, no special action is required.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center