Re: [Stable-review] [25/29] USB: fix usbstorage for 2770:915ddelivers no FAT

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Jan 23 2010 - 01:06:38 EST

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 02:43:46AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 16:10 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > 2.6.32-stable review patch. If anyone has any objections, please let us know.
> >
> > ------------------
> >
> > From: Ryan May <rmay31@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > commit 10d2cdb6102669279bee2d9a00a22431b74583d5 upstream.
> >
> > Resolves kernel.org bug 14914.
> >
> > Remove entry for 2770:915d (usb digital camera with mass storage
> > support) from unusual_devs.h. The fix triggered by the entry causes
> > the file system on the camera to be completely inaccessible (no
> > partition table, the device is not mountable).
> >
> > The patch works, but let me clarify a few things about it. All the
> > patch does is remove the entry for this device from the
> > drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h, which is supposed to help with a
> > problem with the device's reported size (I think). I'm pretty sure it
> > was originally added for a reason, so I'm not sure removing it won't
> > cause other problems to reappear. Also, I should note that this
> > unusual_devs.h entry was present (and activating workarounds) in
> > 2.6.29, but in that version everything works fine. Starting with
> > 2.6.30, things no longer work.
> [...]
>
> It doesn't sound like this bug or fix are sufficiently well understood
> yet to be suitable for a stable update. The bug report is currently
> marked as invalid!

It was marked that way as we couldn't take a patch through a bug report.
The email thread for it said it solved the problem, and I have had a
number of other users report that it solves their problem as well.

So I do think it needs to remain, unless someone has a report to the
contrary? And if so, I'll be glad to take it out of the main tree, and
then take that back to the -stable tree.

thanks,

greg k-h