Re: Linux wireless GSoC 2010 project ideas

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 18:16:06 EST

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:38:27PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>
> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>
> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
> applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
in the wider scope of the entire kernel.

I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
summer so I start to think about applying.

Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.

I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
things harder in this direction I fear.

Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").

Thanks.