Re: ohci1394_dma=early crash since 2.6.32 (was Re: [Bug #14487] PANIC:early exception 08 rip 246:10 error ffffffff810251b5 cr2 0)

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Mon Feb 01 2010 - 17:27:42 EST

Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> (as for yesterdays 0xffffffffffffffff(just experimenting)Google gives me
> no info on the differences between 8f's to 16f's, I was under the
> impression that it's x86_32 and x86_64 for the pci address).

As Dan noted,
(class == 0xffffffff || 0xffffffffffffffff)
is always true because it is logically the same as
(class == whatever) || true

If you really meant
class == 0xffffffff || class == 0xffffffffffffffff
then the latter half will never become true because class is declared as
u32 and got its value from read_pci_config() which also returns u32.

BTW, whether a PCI device is capable of accessing 32 bit bus addresses
or also 64 bit bus addresses depends on the device, not on the CPU.
Originally, PCI only had a 32 bit addressing model. OHCI 1394 1.0/1.1
implementations only deal with 32 bit local bus addresses.

The 'class' however is not an address but merely a register value with
24 bits width. (Defined in the PCI Local Bus spec which is not freely
available, cited in OHCI 1394 annex A.3.) This register is read as a 32
bits wide register from which the excess byte is later discarded. If
all bits read are 1, the bus:slot:function is not actually populated.
--
Stefan Richter