Re: [RFC GIT PULL] perf/trace/lock optimization/scalabilityimprovements

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 05:33:49 EST

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 10:14 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> - event injection support

I like the idea, I'm just not sure about the name and API details.

I would like to call it something like collection support, and the API
should have an iterator like interface.

That is, it should not blindly dump all events from a collection at
once, praying the output buffer is large enough, but either dump a
specified number and/or stop dumping when the buffer is full. Allowing a
second invocation to continue where it left off after the buffer content
has been consumed.

Which brings us to the ioctl() interface, we can do the above using
ioctl()s, but it seems to me we're starting to get ioctl() heavy and
should be looking at alternative ways of extending this.

Anybody any bright ideas?