usbserial speed limitations ?

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 04:12:45 EST

Hello,

I'm about to start working with a new USB 3G+ modem (Novatel Wireless
M996D), details :

Product ID: 0x5023
Vendor ID: 0x1410 (Novatel Wireless, Inc.)
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Novatel Wireless, Inc

>From the manufacturer web site, regarding the installation, I can read :

"Maximum connection speed is limited by the current generic usbserial
driver to approximately less than 500kbps."

Is there really such a speed limitation in the usbserial module/driver ?
This modem is HSPA+, which should allow a theorical maximum downspeed of
20MBps, not 500kbps...

The machine intended for such use in 2.6.28.x. Is there any chance to have
something better with a newer kernel ?

Any help / hint appreciated...

Regards,
Paul