Re: associating miscdevice with inode

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 06:13:16 EST

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:24:46 -0800
vb@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> guys,
>
> say I have a misc device driver which instantiates several devices.
> When a file operation on this device is invoked, I need to be able to
> figure out which device is being accessed. All available information
> are
>
> struct inode and struct file. Is there a way to find the address of
> the miscdevice structure passed to misc_register() when this device
> was created?

Not really. If you have a single misc device which each open creates a
new context of some sort then use filp->private_data to store your own
cotntext pointer.

Misc doesn't expect people to be registering lots of devices - its for
one offs and weirdnesses. You could I guess work backwards from

minor = iminor(inode);

and see which of your miscdevs has c->minor == minor.

If you have more than a couple of instances being put into misc you
should probably register an anonymous device major/minor range instead
and go direct.

Alan