Re: Improving OOM killer

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 16:39:20 EST

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> Why does OOM killer care about forkbombs *at all*?

Because the cumulative effects of a forkbomb are detrimental to the
system and the badness() heursitic favors large memory consumers very
heavily. Thus, the forkbomb is never really a strong candidate for oom
kill since the parent may consume very little memory itself and meanwhile
KDE or another large memory consumer will get innocently killed instead as
a result.

> If we really want kernel to detect forkbombs (*), we'd have to establish
> completely separate infrastructure for that (with its own knobs for tuning
> and possibilities of disabling it completely).

That's what we're trying to do, we can look at the shear number of
children that the parent has forked and check for it to be over a certain
"forkbombing threshold" (which, yes, can be tuned from userspace), the
uptime of those children, their resident set size, etc., to attempt to
find a sane heuristic that penalizes them.