Re: Linux 2.6.33-rc7

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 05:41:57 EST

On 02/07/10 02:20, Joel Becker wrote:
On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 02:49:49PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Would it be ok to _only_ have the 'bz2' patches and tar-balls?

Having two copies of every large file seems silly, if nobody really
requires the traditional .gz format..

When I grab tarballs, I only grab .gz. Bandwidth isn't a
problem (3 minutes versus four on my DSL, I still switch over to another
screen and check back). But .bz2 unpacks very slowly in the
environments I'm usually grabbing a tarball for. I save more time
unpacking .gz than I do downloading .bz2.
That said, I'm often doing repeated unpacks, so I could easily
turn a .bz2 into .gz when I first grab it, then use the local .gz.

Joel

(Not sure what the spec is.)
the question is:
if converting everything to .gz,
yes is easy for everybody, because they don't
need a bzip2 or xzutils(external app),
but results in Linus's server having more mb's

as opposed to having a bzip2, or lzma(xzutils)
resulting in less mb's on the server(Linus's server)?

I guess whatever gives Linus's server less space
since he's kind enough to publish this for everybody..

Justin P. Mattock