Re: High cpu temperature with 2.6.32, bisection shows commit 69d258(fwd)

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Date: Thu Feb 11 2010 - 13:01:24 EST

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:51:38 +0200 (EET)
Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

As I understand, in his case the C3 state is unstable and exits
immediately. I have asked him to post the dmidecode output so you can
put him on the exception list too. However I now believe that more
and more users will be facing the same problem, it's not something
you find easily, especially on desktop machines! What do you think?

if C3 does not work, this needs to be fixed in the code that implements
C3, not in the code that selects C3.

Modern systems should have working C3; if one does not it needs to be
investigated as to why it's not working. One cause could be a PME that
we're not handling (I've seen that a few times in our lab), lspci -vvv
will show that.

But regardless, it's not the task of the code that selects a C state to
deal with....

Wojo (CC'd) can you run as root lspci -vvv and attach the output, so the experts can have a look?

Arjan, in this case a bisection was not performed but the symptoms are exactly the same as mine:
* powertop showing thousands of interrups but showing no specific process causing them
* The situation is caused only when the "processor" module is inserted and after a message about "marking TSC as unstable due to halts in idle", exactly like my case

Hmmm actually a difference is that in my case the system used the acpi_pm clocksource, but in Wojo's case it used hpet.

If I understand correctly what you said, this is a bug in another piece of code, and I assume that the previous behaviour of the governor was hiding it, avoiding C3 state completely, right?

Dimitris

visit http://www.lesswatts.org