Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 14:56:15 EST

Jean Delvare wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:02:39 +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
5* Archive all the older 2.6.x files and move them into a separate
directory (e.g. v2.6-pre20). Moving all the pre 2.6.20 files
saves 42% of the file listing.

This seems an obvious solution, what am I missing?

This is confusing, inconsistent and unstable. Confusing because 2.6-pre
referred so far to the releases immediately preceding 2.6.0.

I didn't say "2.6-pre", anyway it could be called something different,
like 'older-releases'.

Inconsistent because it requires the downloader to have preliminary
knowledge about what the break point is. Unstable because, while you
consider pre20 to qualify as "old" today, in 5 years you will want
pre30 to qualify as "old" instead, meaning that tools such as ketchup
would have to be updated once again.

You yourself said "I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the current locations.
Just give some time for software authors (ketchup comes to mind) to update
their code and it shouldn't be a big problem."

The major advantage with my suggestion is for the majority of users/tools
interested in "recent" kernels, nothing changes at all. Your suggestions
break everything for everyone.

I think we want to come up with a directory structure which won't change
in the future.

I think trying to do that is utterly futile.

Phillip