Re: [kernel.org users] XZ Migration discussion

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Sat Feb 13 2010 - 17:36:28 EST

Jean Delvare wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:39:51 +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
Jean Delvare wrote:
Prove it. Many people out there are still working on older trees. I am
working on 2.6.5 and 2.6.16 kernels on a weekly basis. If ketchup or
other tools break for these trees only and not more recent ones, that
won't help me at all, I will still have to update them.
Why are you still working on 2.6.5 and 2.6.16 kernels on a weekly
basis?

Because I am doing support for enterprise customers who are using
distributions based on these kernel versions. These are SLE 9 and SLE
10, to name them, but RHEL supporters are in the same situation. And
I've heard embedded developers report many times that they had to stick
to older 2.6.x kernels too for various reasons. Not everyone is using a
recent 2.6.x kernel, which makes it hard to draw a line between what
should be considered old ones and what should be considered new ones.

Embedded and enterprise distro users are usually stuck on ancient kernels that
were downloaded from kernel.org and patched *years ago*. The reason they're
stuck on them is due to local modifications, and so they're not going to be
downloading ancient vanilla kernels from kernel.org now.

Phillip