Re: Linux mdadm superblock question.

From: Michael Evans
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 03:39:09 EST

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:

>>> but it is the only format supporting autodetection.
>>>
>>> So - when will autodetection be introduced with 1.X? And if not, why not?
>>>
>>> All I found was 'autodetection might be troublesome' and nothing else.
>>>  But dealing with initrds is troublesome too. Pure evil even.
>>>
>>> Gl?ck Auf,
>>> Volker
>>> --
>>>

>> I remember hearing that 1.x had /no/ plans for kernel level
>> auto-detection ever.  That can be accomplished in early-userspace
>> leaving the code in the kernel much less complex, and therefore far
>> more reliable.
>>
>> In other words, 'auto-detection' for 1.x format devices is using an
>> initrd/initramfs.
>
> hmm, I've used 1.x formats without an initrd/initramfs (and without any
> conifg file on the server) and have had no problem with them being
> discovered. I haven't tried to use one for a boot/root device, so that may
> be the difference.
>
> David Lang

Yes, that is the difference. You must have a more traditional simple
block device and filesystem drivers compiled in. You have no need for
extra drivers or higher level device detection and evaluation (with
user-set policies to determine operation). Anything past root-fs
mount can happen in normal user-space before logins are enabled.