UML error - apps killed 50% of the time

From: Adam Nielsen
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 01:54:28 EST

Hi all,

From my other message I am trying to get a UML kernel running again after an OS upgrade, but I am unable to get it working again (on the original machine this time, everything is 32-bit.)

When I boot the kernel normally I get tons of error messages, but if I boot it with "init=/bin/bash" I can get a command prompt up. Unfortunately most of the time my apps break:

$ ls
bin boot dev etc home lib lost+found mnt opt proc root sbin sys tmp usr var
$ ls
Killed
$ ls
bin boot dev etc home lib lost+found mnt opt proc root sbin sys tmp usr var
$ ls
Killed
$ ls
Killed
$ ls
bin boot dev etc home lib lost+found mnt opt proc root sbin sys tmp usr var

What's going on? My host dmesg says things like this:

vmlinux[6300] general protection eip:b7ea5124 esp:1785bdfc error:0

Why doesn't UML work any more? It's running the same filesystem and apps as before. Any help would be much appreciated, I've wasted hours on this now :-(

Thanks,
Adam.

(please CC)