Re: 2.6.33-rc8 breaks UML with Restrict initial stack spaceexpansion to rlimit

From: Jouni Malinen
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 02:02:35 EST

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:38:52AM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> Wow. It seems very strange. Usually stack overflow makes SIGSEGV, not SIGKILL.
> plus, In my environment (x86_64 non-uml), mount command doesn't use
> the stack so much.

The SIGKILL part is the odd one, I would assume.. It looks like about
half of the commands are failing with SIGKILL even with ulimit -s 8192
and the ulimit -s value did not really change the failure rate that
much if at all. SIGSEGV starts showing up only after having limited
ulimit -s to quite samll number (see my previous email).

> % /usr/bin/time --format="mem %M" ls
> /usr/bin/time --format="mem %M" ls
> GPATH INSTALL README configure fdisk lib misc-utils schedutils
> mem 3232

mem 3296
on my UML setup

> % sudo /usr/bin/time --format="mem %M" mount -a
> sudo /usr/bin/time --format="mem %M" mount -a
> mem 2992

mem 2928

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA