Re: Linux mdadm superblock question.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 02:02:34 EST

On 02/15/2010 07:18 PM, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

On 02/15/2010 04:27 PM, Neil Brown wrote:

There are three options:

a) either don't boot from it (separate /boot);
b) use a bootloader which installs in the MBR and
hopefully-unpartitioned disk areas (e.g. Grub);
c) use a nonstandard custom MBR.

Neither (b) or (c), of course, allow for chainloading from another OS
install and thus are bad for interoperability.

I have had no problems with XFS partitions and lilo as the bootloader.
I've been doing this for a couple of years now without realizing that
there is supposed to be a problem.

LILO also can be stuffed in the MBR (and then uses block-pointers from there). There is one more option that I didn't mention, which is to put the bootloader of a separate partition, OS/2 style. Again, breaks the standard chainloading model.

-hpa