Re: tracking memory usage/leak in "inactive" field in /proc/meminfo?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 16:32:25 EST

On 02/16/2010 11:12 AM, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 02/16/2010 11:52 AM, Chris Friesen wrote:
>> On 02/15/2010 11:00 AM, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
>>> Removal from the LRU is done from the page freeing code, on
>>> the final free of the page.
>
>> There are a bunch of inline functions involved, but I think the chain
>> from page_remove_rmap() back up to unmap_vmas() looks like this:
>>
>> page_remove_rmap
>> zap_pte_range
>> zap_pmd_range
>> zap_pud_range
>> unmap_page_range
>> unmap_vmas
>>
>> So in this scenario, where do the pages actually get removed from the
>> LRU list (assuming that they're not in use by anyone else)?
>
> __page_cache_release

For the backtrace scenario I posted it seems like it might actually be
release_pages(). There seems to be a plausible call chain:

__ClearPageLRU
release_pages
free_pages_and_swap_cache
tlb_flush_mmu
tlb_remove_page
zap_pte_range

Does that seem right? In this case, tlb_remove_page() is called right
after page_remove_rmap() which ultimately results in clearing the
PageAnon bit.

Chris