Re: USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

From: Andy Green
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 04:57:28 EST

On 02/17/10 10:50, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:03:14AM +0100, Andy Green wrote:
On 02/08/10 10:51, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

We could of course flush the caches every time we get a page fault but
that's far from optimal, especially since DMA-capable drivers to do not
pollute the D-cache and don't need this extra flushing. Note that the
recent ARM processors have PIPT caches but separate for I and D and it's
the PIO drivers that pollute the D-cache.

Just noting that AFAIK iMX31 USB and MMC drivers both are PIO at the
moment, for lack of any platform DMA support of its unusual DMA engine.

The EHCI module has its own DMA engine and has nothing to do with the
SDMA engine.

You're right, my mistake. iMX31 MMC is PIO due to no SDMA support though.

-Andy