Re: Kernel panic due to page migration accessing memory holes

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 08:48:54 EST

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 05:47:28PM -0800, Michael Bohan wrote:
> On 2/18/2010 2:04 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 06:36:04PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
>>
>>> [Fact]
>>> - There are 2 banks of memory and a memory hole on your machine.
>>> As
>>> 0x00200000 - 0x07D00000
>>> 0x40000000 - 0x43000000
>>>
>>> - Each bancks are in the same zone.
>>> - You use FLATMEM.
>>> - You see panic in move_freepages().
>>> - Your host's MAX_ORDER=11....buddy allocator's alignment is 0x400000
>>> Then, it seems 1st bank is not algined.
>>>
>> It's not and assumptions are made about it being aligned.
>>

> Would it be prudent to have the ARM mm init code detect unaligned,
> discontiguous banks and print a warning message if
> CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL is not configured? Should we take it
> a step further and even BUG()?

I guess it wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't get too side-tracked though as it's
not the most important issue here.

>> ARM frees unused portions of memmap to save memory. It's why memmap_valid_within()
>> exists when CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL although previously only
>> reading /proc/pagetypeinfo cared.
>>
>> In that case, the FLATMEM memory map had unexpected holes which "never"
>> happens and that was the workaround. The problem here is that there are
>> unaligned zones but no pfn_valid() implementation that can identify
>> them as you'd have with SPARSEMEM. My expectation is that you are using
>> the pfn_valid() implementation from asm-generic
>>
>> #define pfn_valid(pfn) ((pfn)< max_mapnr)
>>
>> which is insufficient in your case.
>>

> I am actually using the pfn_valid implementation FLATMEM in
> arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h. This one is very similar to the
> asm-generic, and has no knowledge of the holes.

Same problem applies so.

>> I think it's more likely the at the memmap he is accessing has been
>> freed and is effectively random data.
>>

> I also think this is the case.
>
>> SPARSEMEM would give you an implementation of pfn_valid() that you could
>> use here. The choices that spring to mind are;
>>
>> 1. reduce MAX_ORDER so they are aligned (easiest)
>>

> Is it safe to assume that reducing MAX_ORDER will hurt performance?

No, it does not necessarily reduce performance. In some circumstances it
might even help although I wouldn't chase after it.

Downside one is that some hash tables might be getting hurt if you have a
very large amount of memory (look for "hash table entries:" in dmesg after
booting to see what order is being used).

Downside two is that if some drivers require large contiguous memory
early in boot, they might be hurt by MAX_ORDER being lower. If you
require CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE, it might not be possible to reduce
MAX_ORDER depending on the size of the huge page.

>> 2. use SPARSEMEM (easy, but not necessary what you want to do, might
>> waste memory unless you drop MAX_ORDER as well)
>>

> We intend to use SPARSEMEM, but we'd also like to maintain FLATMEM
> compatibility for some configurations. My guess is that there are other
> ARM users that may want this support as well.
>
>> 3. implement a pfn_valid() that can handle the holes and set
>> CONFIG_HOLES_IN_ZONE so it's called in move_freepages() to
>> deal with the holes (should pass this by someone more familiar
>> with ARM than I)
>>

> This option seems the best to me. We should be able to implement an ARM
> specific pfn_valid() that walks the ARM meminfo struct to ensure the pfn
> is not within a hole.

Be sure to check your performance before and after. pfn_valid_within()
is used in a fair few places and you are likely enabling it.

> My only concern with this is a comment in __rmqueue_fallback() after
> calling move_freepages_block() that states "Claim the whole block if
> over half of it is free". Suppose only 1 MB is beyond the bank limit.
> That means that over half of the pages of the 4 MB block will be
> reported by move_freepages() as free -- but 1 MB of those pages are
> invalid. Won't this cause problems if these pages are assumed to be
> part of an active block?

The only operation taking place there is updating a bitmap so I doubt
you'll hit snags there.

> It seems like we should have an additional check in
> move_freepages_block() with pfn_valid_within() to check the last page in
> the block (eg. end_pfn) before calling move_freepages_block(). If the
> last page is not valid, then we shouldn't we return 0 as in the zone
> span check? This will also skip the extra burden of checking each
> individual page, when we already know the proposed range is invalid.

You don't know where the holes are going to be so it is paranod rather
than making assumptions about where architectures put holes.

> Assuming we did return 0 in this case, would that sub-block of pages
> ever be usable for anything else, or would it be effectively wasted?

They're still usable.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center