Re: Firmware versioning best practices II

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 06:09:37 EST

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 12:00 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> That doesn't make much sense anyway. If the firmware filename is
> foo-$APIVER-$CODEVER every code change would need a corresponding driver
> change. If it is just foo-$APIVER then the $CODEVER can be embedded in
> the firmware file and printed so you know which code you're using, but
> if it doesn't influence the API I don't see why it should be part of the
> filename?

The idea is that just like with shared libraries, you have a symlink
from the 'soname' foo-3.fw to the actual file foo-3-1.4.1.fw.

For shared libraries, it's easy to create those symlinks automatically
using ldconfig. For firmware that doesn't really work though -- since
the soname isn't encoded in the file like it is in ELF libraries.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation